Getting ready for the Big Game? Try these gourmet spins on tried-and-true classics.
IF YOU LIKE: Queso dip
TRY: Three Cheese Fonduta Nachos with Pepper Salsa
- For Pepper Salsa:
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 8 peppadew peppers
- 8 pepperoncini peppers
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 2 tbsp. Italian parsley
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- For Three Cheese Fonduta:
- 8 oz. mozzarella, shredded
- 8 oz. fontina cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 8 oz. whole milk
- 14 oz. bag tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp. basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup castelvetrano olives, sliced
- For pepper salsa: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive bowl. Stir well to combine and set aside. Can be made a day ahead.
- For Three Cheese Fonduta: In a medium sauté pan over medium to low heat, combine the mozzarella, fontina, mascarpone cheese and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Heat just to melt and make a smooth sauce. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven-safe dish, arrange a layer of chips, then drizzle with cheese fonduta. Place in the oven to heat for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and top with salsa, fresh herbs, green onions and olives. Serve immediately.
IF YOU LIKE: Jalapeño Poppers
TRY: Italian Sausage-Stuffed Jalapeños
- 1-pound bulk pork Italian sausage
- 1 small Spanish onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red chili flake
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 4 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 22 large jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Marinara sauce (optional)
- Basil chiffonade (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onions, garlic and chile flake over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; fold in sausage.
- Spoon or pipe about 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture into each jalapeno half.
- Place in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until filling is lightly browned and bubbly. Serve with warm marinara sauce and fresh basil if desired.
IF YOU LIKE: Buffalo Wings
TRY: Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. ranch dressing (your own house-made, if possible)
- 3⁄4 Crystal hot sauce
- 1 lb. shredded rotisserie chicken, no skin or bones
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (divided in two)
- 2 c. crumbled blue cheese (divided in two)
- Potato chips (we prefer to make in house, but you can buy a quality store bought chip)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
- Beat cream cheese, ranch dressing, and hot sauce in a stand mixer until smooth.
- Fold in shredded chicken and half of the cheddar and blue cheese.
- Spread mixture into pie plate sprayed with non-stick spray
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining cheddar and blue cheese to top.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with sliced green onions.
- Serve hot with potato chips, celery and carrot sticks.