Welcome to Hollywood: the heartbeat of the City of Dreams. Here, you’ll find those famed spots we love — the Walk of Fame, the iconic Capitol Records Building and the 1926 Chinese Theatre (which hosted the premiere of the original Star Wars). You’ll also find easy walkable and driveable highlights from outdoor markets, peaceful trails and of course, delicious eats and drinks that are both healthy and boozy. Below, our favorite local spots.
See the Stars (Astronomy, That Is) and Stretch Your Legs
- Drop by the walkable Griffith Park, home to popular Art Deco structure and science shrine, Griffith Observatory, where admission is free.
- There’s also a vast network of trails and landscaped paths for urban hiking, tennis courts and a golf course. On the Valley side, sign up for a horseback ride or set up a picnic close to the forest-y respite, Amir’s Garden.
- Hike to one of the most recognizable landmarks in the country, the Hollywood Sign, and take in the stunning 360 views. Fun fact: it was built in 1921 as an advertisement originally called “Hollywoodland.”
- Just below the sign, the Hollywood Reservoir provides a scenic stroll sans the crowds. For a vigorous hike, Beachwood Canyon Stairs provide some steep inclines, as you raise your heartbeat and take in the views from Downtown LA out to the ocean.
Sips + Bites, Angelino-Style
The highly walkable neighborhood is perfect for taking part in historic Hollywood gems alongside local treats. Commence your day like a local with healthy green juices like ‘Matcha and Hemp’ from Pressed Juicery.
- On Sundays, the Hollywood Farmers’ Market has ultra-fresh produce, flowers, handcrafted goods and a stellar breakfast burrito.
- Paying homage to the Golden Age of Hollywood, Paley, in the old CBS building has a glam menu of craft cocktails (try the Little Ricky with tequila, pisco, kumquat, cinnamon and lime) and decadent dishes like lobster mac & cheese and buttermilk fried chicken.
- At the industrial-flared Coffee Commissary, sip frothy espressos from an assortment of artisan brands including Seattle’s Victrola Coffee Roasters, Portland’s Coava and Sacramento’s Temple Coffee.
- For a nightcap, head to the romantically-lit speakeasy Lost Property. Keep a sharp eye out for the tiny sign bearing a blue-neon logo which is easy to miss. Once you’re inside, the hidden bar whips up sultry, handcrafted cocktails – we like a refreshing Vermont Shandy or a classic Negroni.
And, Just a Quick Drive Away
About 10 minutes from Hollywood, Franklin Village scoops vegan ice cream flavors at Van Leeuwen and the funky-cool 101 Coffee Shop is a retro paradise of hot fudge sundaes, milkshakes and root beer floats.
- In nearby Larchmont Village, Café Gratitude whips up healthy plant-based dishes like an Asian kale-and-wakame salad.
- For the latest novels and non-fiction titles, pop by Chevalier’s Books and stop by the chic G&B for espresso sips.
- Check out more local LA perspective (outside activities, shopping, eating, drinking and relaxing) with a few bloggers we love:
Where to Stay: The Kimpton Hotel Everly is a breath of fresh air, tucked away between Hollywood and the Hills. Head up to the breezy 5th floor pool deck for craft cocktails and light snacks, drinking in views of the shimmering downtown LA skyline.
Love that angle of the Hollywood sign, never seen it like that before!