We’ve been in WFH (work from home) mode for so long, it’s time to level up and turn it into work from hotel. As the lines between work, home and vacay have blurred, we’ve mastered the art of the workcation. These days, any break from the monotony and 24/7 at home routine really feels like a treat yourself moment. Here’s how and where you can make your next workcation the best yet even if you’re staying in town.
- Take a half day’s worth of PTO hours and spread it out throughout the week if your work is flexible. That way you can sign off at 4 pm and enjoy the city without burning through too much vacay.
- Real talk: the biggest perk is getting to change up your scenery. Take your laptop to a sun-drenched window, the pool deck, restaurant patio or local coffee shop even if it’s for a call or two.
- Get tickets to everything ahead of time since most attractions, restaurants, etc are requiring spaced out reservations (no walk-ins). If you’re traveling to a different time zone than where your office is located, make that work to your advantage. Let’s say your team is on West Coast time and you’re in New York. Enjoy a slower morning and treat yourself to brunch or a quick morning museum jaunt before diving into emails.
- Schedule your important calls, like interviews or presentations, on your workcation schedule because there will be fewer distractions and interruptions of roomies, kids, spouses, etc. We love ‘em but this is the “cation” part we’re leaning into here.
- Pre-schedule your emails to buy some time here and there. It’s not a replacement for being fully online but it helps to get important items out the door and have more flexibility to explore.
Where to Workcation:
Our boutique hotels in Nashville, Winston-Salem, Dallas, Miami and Toronto have fabulous perks to become the remote or staycation office of your dreams. There’s high-speed WiFi, discounts off best flexible rates and boardrooms, food and beverage credit, vinyl libraries, in-room spa treatments and healthy (or indulgent!) power meals galore.
Stay local in Nashville with Kimpton Aertson Hotel’s “Tennessee Locals Offer” – valid Tennessee ID required. Tuck in a Southern feast at Henley with pick up. We love their Charleston Crab Dip and Duck and Dumplings.
Venture to Winston-Salem with Kimpton Cardinal Hotel’s “Playdate, Staydate” for fun group games like bowling, ping-pong and foosball in their decked out Rec Room. For ultimate relaxation, schedule a soothing massage in the privacy of your room.
Explore Dallas with Kimpton Pittman Hotel’s “Plug + Play” or “Quaranteam” with high-tech office services and private meeting space. The outdoor pool will be your new headquarters and you can blow off steam with the hotel’s Peloton and TRX machines.
Soak in South Beach with Kimpton Hotel Palomar South Beach’s “Work from Paradise” with a complimentary lap desk, printing services and waived guest amenity fee. The beach is steps away and you can tap our concierge to rent a daybed, beach chairs or to book water sports.
Stay for a day in Toronto with Kimpton Saint George Hotel’s “Work from Hotel” that includes a quiet space from 8 am to 6 pm. For a break, the hotel is walking distance to Annex and Yorkville and multiple museums and eateries like the Royal Ontario Museum. If you’re an Ontario resident, you can opt for the locals rate and discounted parking instead!