New and exciting things are a-brewin’— inside our hotel and out. It doesn’t take long to learn why the Mile-High City enjoys a growing reputation as a world-class destination. Denver loves the great outdoors, thanks to an average of 300 days of sunshine a year plus the city’s proximity to the majestic Rockies. The alluring capital also has plenty of urban adventures to help guests explore thriving scenes from sports to the arts.
As we launch into a new season—and anxiously await those seemingly eternal summer days—we’ve brainstormed ways to relish Denver’s coolest offerings. Afterward, remember to take a breather at the recently renovated Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver.
- The free Five Points Jazz Festival (May 19) celebrates the history of Denver’s Five Points neighborhood. Once known as the Harlem of the West, this area was home to several jazz clubs that played host to such legends as Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.
- Denver Day of Rock, a happenin’ block party featuring more than two-dozen free concerts, helps kick off Memorial Day weekend on Saturday, May 26.
- Father’s Day Weekend (June 16 and 17) sizzles with The Denver BBQ Fest, a brand-new event featuring talented pitmasters from around the country. That same weekend brings the jubilant PrideFest, one of the nation’s largest, and Juneteenth Music Festival, a free celebration of community and culture.
- Beginning April 28, Pixelated: Sculpture by Mike Whiting, an exhibit that explores the relationships between the natural world and the artificial world of digital media, premieres at Denver Botanic Gardens.
- At the Denver Art Museum, Degas: A Passion for Perfection runs through May 20; this is the only U.S. showing of the beautiful collection. In Drawn to Glamour: Fashion Illustrations by Jim Howard, up through August 5, visitors experience a lovely collection of fashion drawings from one of the most prolific fashion artists of all time.
MOVERS + SHAKERS
- It’s time to root, root, root for the home team as the Colorado Rockies launch into their 25th baseball season. Opening Day is practically a holiday around here, and the excitement stretches far into the fall. All season long, folks happily gather at the downtown stadium (located less than a mile from our hotel) to celebrate this fun-filled rite of summer.
And once you’ve gotten your daily dose of Denver, unwind in our recently updated spaces. The hotel’s look brings an effortlessly elegant interior transformation to all 189 rooms, including 29 suites; the refresh design pays tribute to Denver’s rich history and natural resources, while providing a glimpse into the Mile High City’s western roots. Award-winning David Hill Design created a balance of stylish comfort and casual sophistication in spaces marked by soothing color palettes (think blues, olive greens and mineral hues), bold wallpaper, plus metallic and leather accents. Welcome to the fresh, new season!