Think you know the go-to dish for every city? Think again. Chefs across the country are reinventing tradition and serving up their takes on local cuisine—with a twist.
Beet Cured Wild Salmon (Seattle, WA)
- 1 side salmon fillet, skin on
- 3 beets, grated
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 cups salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 bunches dill
- 3 tsp. caraway seed
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
When Ready To Serve:
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, shaved thin
- 6-7 sprigs dill
Dill Cream Cheese Ingredients:
- 2 bunches dill
- 1 cup cream cheese
Pickled Mustard Seeds Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- In a perforated pan, lay down a layer of cheesecloth.
- Place half of the cure mix on top of the cheesecloth.
- Lay the other half of the cure mix on top of the salmon fillet.
- Wrap with the cheesecloth.
- Place a pan underneath the perforated pan to catch the juices.
- Cure for 2- 3 days.
- When cured to desired texture, unwrap and rinse off the cure mix.
- Slice super thin.
- Spread some dill cream cheese on your plate of choice.
- Arrange some of the salmon by folding it over itself gently.
- Arrange some slices of cucumber, fennel.
- Garnish with the pickled mustard seeds
- Finish the plate with dill sprigs.
Dill Cream Cheese Directions:
- In a juicer, juice the 2 bunches of dill and mix into the cream cheese.
Pickled Mustard Seeds Directions:
- Blanch the mustard seeds 3x in hot boiling water.
- Rinse very well between each blanching.
- Heat the vinegar to boiling, add the salt and sugar.
- Cover the mustard seeds and let sit overnight or up to 4 weeks.
Crab Beignets (Washington, DC)
- 250g of red pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and cut into small dice
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- 10g of salt
- 5g of Worcestershire sauce
- 5g of hot sauce
- 350g of all-purpose flour
- 50g of cornmeal
- 8g of baking powder
- 2g of cayenne pepper
- 225g of whole milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 lbs. of fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
Apple Sage Aioli Ingredients:
- 3 apples, Honeycrisp or Fuji
- 250g of apple cider vinegar
- 125g of dijon mustard
- 50g of sage
- 10g of salt
- 100g of egg yolks
- 100g of maple syrup
- 30g of lemon juice
- 40g of garlic
- 80g of shallots
- 830g of canola oil
- In a small bowl, combine the bell pepper, jalapeño, green onion, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and the hot sauce. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and cayenne and mix well.
- Stir in the milk and eggs.
- Fold in the bell pepper mixture and the crabmeat. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, drop two rounded scoops of the beignet batter into flour and toss to coat. Gently drop the beignets into the fryer. Don’t overcrowd the fryer. Cook the beignets until golden brown, about two minutes per side.
- Drain the beignets on the wire rack.
Apple Sage Aioli Directions:
- Add all ingredients in food processor and emulsify with oil.
Pacific Clam Chowder (Portland, OR)
- 32 oz. clam chowder base, puréed smooth
- 4 oz. red pepper, carrot, onion, fingerling potato (all diced and blanched)
- 3 oz. bacon lardon
- 1 oz. fines herbes (finely chopped parsley, chives, and tarragon)
- 1 lb. local clams in shell (reserved from chowder base)
Clam Chowder Base Ingredients:
- 1/2 gal. clam stock
- 2 oz. butter
- 2 lbs. clams
- 4 oz. bacon
- 3 oz. onion, roughly chopped
- 3 oz. celery, roughly chopped
- 3 oz. fennel, roughly chopped
- 2 oz. garlic cloves
- 1 lbs. peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 ea. bay leaf
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cup cream
- 2 oz. dry vermouth
- white pepper
- lemon juice
- Render lardons in extra virgin olive oil; add in veggies and clams, and sauté until warm.
- Add fines herbes and adjust seasoning.
- In a different pot, heat chowder base checking flavor and texture, add water or cream if needed. Arrange bacon, veggies, and clams, on one side of a shallow bowl forming a half moon.
- Pour clam base into bowl and enjoy.
Clam Chowder Base Directions:
- In a pot render bacon with butter, add veggies, thyme, bay leaf, and clams, cook until clams begin to open, avoiding browning on the bottom.
- Take clams out, remove ½ clams from shell and set the other ones aside for later.
- Deglaze pan with white wine, & clam broth.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until veggies are soft, add cream and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add de-shelled clams and let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Puree in blender, strain through chinois.
- Season with salt, pepper, vermouth, lemon andtabasco.
- Add more cream/water as needed until consistency is silky.
Deep Dish Potato Chips (Chicago, IL)
Pizza Seasoning Ingredients:
(Makes 1 quart)
- 4 tbsp. of dried oregano (ground)
- 2 tsp. of dried thyme (ground)
- 1/2 tsp. of caraway seed (ground)
- 2 tsp. of fennel seed (ground)
- 2 tsp. of onion powder
- 2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 2 cups of tomato powder
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne
- 4 cups of white cheddar powder
- 1/2 cup of kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. of ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. of smoked paprika
Potato Chip Ingredients:
- 2 medium Yukon Gold or Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch slices on a mandoline or other handheld slicer
- 3 tablespoons olive, canola, or peanut oil
Pizza Seasoning Directions:
- Mix all ingredients together
- Set aside (seasoning can also be stored for future use in an airtight container with a silica pack)
Potato Chip Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Slice the potatoes into a bowl and toss them with the oil
- Arrange slices in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Bake in the oven until golden brown — about 12-15 minutes
- Sprinkle pizza seasoning on top of potato chips immediately after they come out of the oven (while there is still some residual oil for the spices to adhere to)
- Transfer to a rack to cool for maximum crispness