It comes as no surprise that July is officially recognized as National Ice Cream Month. With summer temperatures heating up, is there any better time for an icy treat? We’ve rounded up some unexpected variations that you won’t find at your local scoop shop. Ditch the ice cream truck and try your hand at whipping up one of these recipes straight off the dessert menus at some of our favorite restaurants.
Malted Coffee Gelato, by Pastry Chef Alisha Falkenstein at Il Solito
Makes 2 Quarts (6 servings)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar (separated)
- 12 egg yolks
- ¾ cup malt powder
- ¾ cup coffee grounds
- In a saucepan, caramelize ½ c sugar. Once light amber, add in coffee grounds.
- While the sugar is caramelizing, bring the cream, milk, to a simmer in a separate pan.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk the remaining ½ c sugar, malt powder and yolks together.
- Slowly temper in milk mixture to caramelized sugar mixture. Be careful, as the milk will splatter!
- Make sure that all sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Let it sit off heat for 15-20 minutes once sugar is incorporated. This will help infuse the coffee flavor into the milk.
- Once the milk mixture is a dark brown color, bring back to a simmer, and temper into egg mixture.
- Return to heat, until slightly thickened.
- Strain mixture, and let cool for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Churn based on your ice cream machine’s instructions.
Tip: This one makes a perfect affogato when served with a side of espresso to pour over the top.
Naptime Sundae, by Executive Chef Jonathan Dearden at Radiator
- 1 scoop vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 scoop Guinness ice cream
- 1 shot of whiskey
- 2 ounces of maple syrup
- 1 scoop bacon fat powder
Scoop ice cream into a sundae dish and top with whiskey, maple syrup, and bacon fat powder.
Whiskey Ice Cream, by Chef Amber Lancaster at Sable Kitchen & Bar
- 8504 grams Heavy Cream
- 56 grams Maker’s Mark
- 56 grams Honey
- 4 Eggs
- Whip the cream until it is thick while adding the whiskey gradually.
- Put the honey in a pot over heat.
- While honey is heating up, beat the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Pour hot honey into the yolks and continue mixing until pale and thick.
- Gently fold in the cream and whiskey mixture.
- Put into a container and freeze for a minimum of 3 hours.
Inventive Ice Cream Sandwiches
Smoked Cardamom Ice Cream:
- 10 grams cardamom (smoked & toasted)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ oz. Fireball whiskey
- Steep cardamom in cream and milk. Strain.
- Whisk together yolks and brown sugar.
- Temper yolks with cream mixture.
- Add all ingredients together.
- Heat to 160 degrees (note: do not boil!)
- Strain through chinois, then chill down and put in ice cream machine.
- 125 g almond flour
- 150 g confectioner’s sugar
- 100 g egg whites
- 100 g sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees, low fan. Process almond flour and confectioner’s sugar and sift.
- Whip egg whites and sugar to medium peaks.
- Fold flour and egg white mixture together and pipe onto baking mat.
- Let a skin form before baking about 30 mins.
- Bake for 12 minutes.