RAW OYSTERS WITH CHAMPAGNE MIGNONETTE
Shaker + Spear
Courtesy of Executive Chef: Carolynn Spence
Chef Spence’s Oyster-Shucking Tips:
- Wedge the oysters into a dry towel on a counter to shuck.
- Never hold a conversation while shucking….Shellfish must be respected when handling.
- Shucking is not about force, it’s about leverage. It’s all about getting into the right little spot.
- If you have any question or doubt, throw it out.
- 6 oysters, shucked
- ¼ c. shallot, finely diced
- ½ tbsp. cracked pink peppercorn
- ¼ c. champagne vinegar
- ¼ c. water
- ¾ tsp. prepared horseradish
- Shuck 6 oysters and arrange on serving tray over crushed ice.
- Combine remaining ingredients to make mignonette. (Note: Don’t add salt—the oyster’s brine will do their part.)
- Garnish as desired, with diced celery, lemon wedges or edible flowers.