CRISP ASPARAGUS, WITH WARM RACLETTE FONDUTA, ARUGULA AND PECAN VINAIGRETTE
Red Star Tavern – Portland, OR
Courtesy of Executive Chef: Dolan Lane
This dish features lightly tempura-battered asparagus, a creamy raclette fonduta and a pecan vinaigrette to add a splash of acidity. Find recipes for each component, as well as assembly instructions, below.
FOR THE PECAN VINAIGRETTE
- ½ c. toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. shallots, minced
- ½ tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/8 c. sherry vinegar
- 3/8 c. olive or canola oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients except oil in bowl and mix. Once combined, whisk in oil. Vinaigrette should be thick with garnish. Season to taste and reserve.
FOR THE RACLETTE FONDUTA
- 2 oz. butter
- ¼ c. flour, sifted
- ½ lb. raclette, grated (rind skimmed off)
- 1 ¾ c. whole milk
- Melt butter over medium heat in heavy sauce pan.
- Once melted, add flour to butter and mix with wooden spoon until combined.
- Whisk in milk and turn up to medium high heat.
- Once mixture comes up to a light boil, whisk in grated cheese. While stirring, bring to a light boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to make sure flour is cooked out.
- Season with salt and reserve on low heat.
FOR THE TEMPURA-BATTERED ASPARAGUS
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ tbsp. baking powder
- 1 c. ice water
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 16 medium size spears of asparagus, washed, woody end trimmed and lightly peeled
- 6 c. frying oil
- In bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Add ice water just to combine and then mix in sesame oil. (Be careful not to over-mix.) Chill for 30 minutes.
- In an oversized pan, warm oil to 350° (Oil should be 2-3 inches deep, and at least 3-4 inches from top of pan.) Once oil reaches temperature, dip asparagus in batter to coat, thinning batter with ice water if needed.
- Coat 4-6 asparagus at a time, depending on size of pot.
- Using tongs gently place asparagus in oil one spear at a time. Fry until spears are crisp and lightly browned.
- Remove, placing on paper towels, and season with salt. Continue until all asparagus is cooked.
TO PLATE COMPOSED DISH:
- Take a spoonfull of raclette fonduta and lightly spread across a warmed plate.
- Put 4 spears of asparagus on top of the cheese.
- In bowl take a small handful of arugula and lightly coat with a little bit of pecan vinaigrette and pinch of salt.
- Bunch the arugula on top of asparagus.
- Finish with a ½ tbsp. pecan vinaigrette drizzle over plate.
- Serve immediately.