Remember those childhood jaunts around the neighborhood,spending hours outside from dawn to dusk? We bet you were flying by the seat of your pants on two wheels (or three, or four —regardless, they’re all equally impressive). Well now that we’re a little older, a little wiser and just as adventurous, we’re still taking our bikes out for a joy ride but with a decidedly grown-up twist. You might have seen or already tried out our cherry-red PUBLIC bikes which can be loaned gratis from the front desk. It just so happens that the back bike rack is our favorite new accessory. Why? Because gourmet picnic baskets are now available to fasten to your bike and hit the road in culinary style.
Our Kimpton chefs always have their wheels spinning (pun intended) and have created new custom picnic menus that appeal to everyone from Cupid-struck couples to the inner-strength-seeking yogi. Long story short: you won’t find sad PB&Js here. Using locally-loved ingredients and inspired by the seasons, guests can now order these gourmet snacks to go, be it by bike or by foot. Here’s a look at what our chefs have put together for a perfect picnic in the park:
Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City (Salt Lake City, UT)
Chef Nathan Powers, Bambara
• “Picnic for Two”: Turkey Gruyere club sandwiches, chips, fresh watermelon and chef’s fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies.
• “Chef’s Choice”: Farmstead cheeses, local salami, prosciutto wrapped summer melon, seasonal fruit, crusty baguette, chocolate truffles and fresh-baked cookies.
Hotel Monaco Portland (Portland, OR)
Chef Kyle Rourke, Red Star Tavern
• “Wellness”: Kickstarter juice or coconut water; house-made Red Star Good Bars; chilled quinoa salad with heirloom tomatoes, grilled summer squash, mixed greens and chimichurri; add grilled chicken breast or marinated beef kabobs or goat cheese for extra oomph.
• “Romance”: Assorted Northwest cheeses, house-made crackers, local honey, spiced nuts; summer vegetable crudités with roasted garlic hummus; fresh summer berries with dark chocolate and bourbon caramel dipping sauce; and cocktail mixers (peach puree or blood orange).
• “Like a Local”: Sauvie Island house-made summer berry soda; various sandwiches on Dave’s Killer Bread; whole fruit; Red Star trail mix and fresh-baked cookies from Red Star Bake Shop.
FireSky Resort & Spa (Scottsdale, AZ)
Chef Massimo De Francesca, Taggia
• “Spuntini”: Assorted nuts (pistachios, pecans, almonds and peanuts); assorted cheeses (Gorgonzola, Robiola, Piave, Brunet cheese with crackers, fruit and fig jam); marinated Mediterranean olives and Café Freddo (a refreshing, cold Italian coffee drink).
• “BuonPranzo”: Italian-style cured meats layered on focaccia with tomatoes, onions, lettuce and smoked mozzarella; turkey panino sandwiches with sliced turkey, pesto aioli, avocado, bacon, lettuce tomato and Fontina; Caprese salad with fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, basil, olive oil and saba; cannoli with whipped ricotta, mascarpone, chocolate, candied orange and pistachio; fresh fruit.
• “BuonAppetito”: Chicken panino with grilled chicken, peperonata, Fontina, baby arugula on brioche; Capresepanino with fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, basil pesto and olive oil; insalatamista with organic greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and white balsamic vinaigrette; assorted biscotti, mixed berries and Italian sodas (orange or lemon).
So go ahead. Pedal. Eat. Explore. We’ll be sure to save you a spot under our favorite tree.
To order picnic basket fare, please call the concierge or front desk. Reservation lead times and menus vary by hotel.