Drumroll please … Kimpton is opening in China and Indonesia. Our ocean-view resorts will bring boutique beachfront style to Haitang Bay in Sanya, located on China’s beloved Hainan island province, and a Shanghai riverside hotel upgrades modern waterfront living in this lively metropolis. Last but not least, Bali’s Nusa Dua coast provides a blissful backdrop for our villas-only retreat in sun-drenched Indonesia.
HAINAN: A NATURAL HAVEN
Come 2020, the Kimpton Resort Sanya Haitang Bay will be tucked along a southeast bay on this tropical island. The locale yields instant access to gorgeous stretches of spotless sand and crystal waters. Relax by a rooftop pool or seek R&R in the shade of our vibrant gardens.
Sanya has long been a tropical stretch of paradise known for:
- Being China’s only tropical island, Hainan (pronounced Hi-Nan) sits off the mainland’s southern tip in the South China Sea. Beijing emperors of yore named it ‘End of the Earth’ because of its remote location.
- A short flight for jetsetters, we love Hainan for its curving sandy coastlines, dramatic rainforests and fresh local seafood.
- Sanya and Haitang Bay are weekend vacationer beehives. For a break, take the cable car to Monkey Island to watch macaques in a semi-wild reserve, or trek through the forest to explore the giant Huangdi caves.
- Immaculate fairways and greens await golfers. Hainan has several pristine courses, including Mission Hills Haikou, the world’s largest golf club.
- Water sports at its finest. Give parasailing and jetskiing a spin, or ride the pipes at Riyue Bay – China’s surfer central.
SHANGHAI: SHIKUMEN CHIC
Overlooking the meandering Suzhou (pronounced Soo-Jo) Creek, Kimpton Shanghai Jing’an is slated to open its doors in 2021. Century-old riverside dwellings will be beautifully restored to marry old and new to create 150 hotel rooms and 120 villas in Shanghai’s signature shikumen architectural style.
Some of Shanghai’s secrets include:
- Located at the mouth of the Yangtze River, water is Shanghai’s defining motif. The city’s wealth was founded on a vast port and its landscape is scenically framed by the Huangpu River.
- A stroll along the Bund’s grand arc of early-20th-century mansions is a step back in time. Across the Huangpu River, the soaring Pudong skyline is etched with futuristic symbolism.
- Don’t let the size surprise you, China’s largest city has layers to discover from Michelin-starred restaurants, opulent art collections, and a cocktail scene that’s making waves on a global scale.
- The narrow lanes of the French Concession are a treasure trail of boutiques, cafes and bars. Letting yourself get lost might result in unfiltered snapshots of day-to-day Shanghai living.
- Contemporary and traditional Chinese artwork is showcased at Long Museum. For emerging artists, it’s the hallways of Rockbund Art Museum that feature their work, many selected by the prestigious HUGO BOSS ASIA ART Awards.
BALI: JEWEL OF INDONESIA
Make a date for 2020 when Kimpton shares the keys to 50 luxury villas on Bali’s picturesque and serene Nusa Dua coast. Time slows down on this Indonesian island.
When you come to visit, enjoy:
- Breathtaking backdrops that extend from powdery white or black sand beaches to commanding conical volcanoes and sloping rice terraces.
- Seminyak, Bali’s self-titled culinary capital has built a reputation on inventive Asian-inspired eateries that are stationed in town and by the beach. The highland retreat of Ubud celebrates sustainable living, with organic coffee houses, ayurvedic yoga and inventive vegan dining.
- Local Balinese culture celebrated by colorful festivals. Ceremonial locations include the Tanah Lot rock temple (especially at sunset), and Pura Besakih which spotlight dramatic island views.
- Hiking and cycling through the volcanic central spine or getting up close to exotic marine life at a plethora of dive spots. World-class wave-riding brings in surfers to Uluwatu and Padang-Padang.
- Canggu, an up and coming beach village in South Bali teeming with lively bars, organic cafés and perfect surfing weather.
- Ideally located amid Indonesia’s vast archipelago, Bali is just a boat or luxury yacht ride from the scenic island destinations of Lembongan and Lombok.
Start the countdown, we can’t wait to see you in Shanghai, Bali, Sanya (or all three!) soon.
— Gary Bowerman