DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER MOUSSE
Red Star Tavern – Portland, OR
Courtesy of Pastry Chef: Stacey Needham
Makes 24 cakes
For the Devil’s Food Cake:
- 2 ¾ c. flour
- ½ c. cocoa
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. shortening
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 ¾ c. skim milk
- 4 large eggs
- Combine dry ingredients and shortening in bowl of mixer.
- Stir in sugar.
- Slowly add milk and then eggs, continually scraping down the bowl.
- Pour into half sheet pan and bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
For the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse:
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. water
- 3 eggs
- ¾ c. peanut butter
- 1 pound, 2 oz. dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 c. heavy cream, warmed
- 2 c. heavy cream, chilled
- Cook sugar and water in pan, and slowly pour mixture over eggs in a mixer. Whip until light, then cool.
- In a separate saucepan, melt peanut butter and chocolate over double boiler. Add in warmed heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Fold into eggs mixture.
- Whip remaining 2 cups of chilled heavy cream and fold into mixture.
- Pipe into molds (square or domed). Once set, layer with the cake to create four layers total. Invert to serve.
For the Peanut Toffee:
- 1 c. butter
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 3 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 c. toasted peanut
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add sugar, water and corn syrup.
- Cook until light brown color and add peanuts.
- Pour immediately onto silicon pad or wax paper to cool.
- Break into pieces.
- Sprinkle over the top of the completed cakes.