This Fourth of July, it’s all about stars, stripes … and salad.
We’re talking about the Summer Peruvian Potato Salad made by Chef Massimo de Francesca of NIOS, the restaurant and wine bar adjacent to The Muse Hotel in New York City’s Theater District. It’s the perfect side dish for your patriotic holiday barbecue. And look – it even has hints of red, white and blue.
“I love this summer salad because it can be enjoyed as a snack, side dish or meal,” says Massimo. “You can also use it as a base dish for proteins such as lobster and barbecue favorites like steak, chicken or lamb. The flavor profiles, textures and colors always seem to impress friends and family. I recommend pairing it with my favorite meal: BBQ jerk chicken and a cold beer!”
Ready to cook? Get to your local farmers market for the ingredients then follow Massimo’s easy recipe.
Summer Peruvian Potato Salad
(Serves 4-6 people)
4 cups purple or blue potatoes
1 cup garden peas (English peas)
5 hard boiled eggs (chopped in quarters)
1 cup red bell pepper (diced)
2 shallots (peeled and thinly sliced)
1 jalapeno (seed out and chopped fine)
1 clove garlic (chopped fine)
¼ bunches each of dill, parsley, scallions and chives (chopped fine)
¼ cup sherry vinegar
½ cups prepared tartar sauce
1 oz. Tabasco sauce
1 lemon (zest and juice)
2 oz. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. Old Bay spice
Crispy bacon bits for garnish (optional)
1. Place potatoes in medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
2. In the same pot add the garden peas to the potatoes and briefly cook for about 1-2 minutes.
3. Strain/dump out hot water and fill the pot with cold water in order to cool the potatoes and peas. Once it’s cool, drain until dry.
4. Put potatoes and peas in a bowl along with all the other ingredients. Gently fold until everything is fully mixed.
5. Top with crispy bacon bits and … enjoy!
Enjoy Chef Massimo de Francesca’s creative American comfort food at NIOS, 130 W. 46th Street, New York City (212-485-2999; niosrestaurant.com). If you’re planning to be in Manhattan, stay at The Muse Hotel located adjacent to NIOS and right near Times Square (212-485-2400 or themusehotel.com).