There’s never been a better time to visit Baltimore. A business trip to Charm City is the perfect opportunity to transform a standard work trip into a quick escape to one of the most vibrant cities on the East Coast. The historic hub on the Chesapeake Bay is stepping out from the shadow of the nation’s capital, providing a wealth of eclectic restaurants, cultural spaces, sleek workout studios and tranquil parks, all ripe for exploration when you’re off the clock. Here are the best ways to round out your next business trip to Baltimore.
Skip watered-down conference center coffee in favor of rich espressos, cold brew or lovingly prepared pourovers at nearby local coffee shops.
- Indulge in a mid-morning recharge in the second-floor lounge area at Peace & A Cup of Joe, where your tasty beverage is served alongside walls covered in works by local artists.
- Neighborhood haunt Argosy Cafe is a local favorite and totally Baltimore-centric, with 92% of the menu made in-house (try a frothy nitro cold brew).
- Duck into Dooby’s or Ceremony Coffee Roasters downtown before a meeting, or get into a powerful state of mind at one of former President Obama’s preferred cafes, Charmington’s, where the honey cardamom latte with housemade syrup is a hit. Stay a while and crank out some work in any of these spaces thanks to free-Wi-Fi.
Keep the Juices Flowing
What could be better for a creative mind than an active body? Studies have shown that physically active meeting breaks during conferences lead to greater productivity and increased attention spans.
- For a fresh air break, check out one of the complimentary PUBLIC Bikes at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor for the 2-mile ride along East Baltimore street to Patterson Park, or grab two wheels for a low fee at one of the fifty Baltimore Bike Share stations around the city.
- Give your brain a break on the dock of the Boat Lake, or raise your heart rate and climb to the top of the Pagoda for sweeping views of downtown Baltimore.
- Rather work out among fellow fitness enthusiasts? Nearby studios Charles Street Barre, CorCycle Studio and YogaWorks Federal Hill all offer drop-in classes to get your tuck, spin and “om” on. To really push yourself, try a group class at the Under Armour Performance Center, held at their global headquarters in downtown Baltimore.
Culture and Cuisine
Baltimore’s beautiful culture centers deserve some of your quality time.
- Try to sneak away for an evening to catch a performance at the intimate, 250-seat Everyman Theatre. The extremely talented resident ensemble brings to life both classics like Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations and re-imagined musicals like Los Otros.
- Tuck into a pre-theater meal of classic and fresh American fare at B&O American Brasserie, where the crunchy Brussels sprout salad and cast-iron crab cake are standouts.
- Enjoy a client dinner at Cosima, where wood-fired Sicilian cuisine is served in an industrial yet cozy space.
- If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, nothing says team bonding like slapping on a bib and digging into all-you-can-eat steamed Maryland Blue Crabs at Captain James Crab House.
No matter how you choose to spend your free time in B-More, we’re sure you’ll be charmed by Charm City.
Looking forward to trying some of the recommendations!