If running shoes are one of the first things tossed in your travel bag, why not do a local race while you’re on the road? There are thousands held every year, including multi-city race series like the Hot Chocolate 15K/5Ks, Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series and The Color Dash 5Ks.
Here are 7 one-of-a-kind races worth lacing up your sneaks for:
- B.A.A. 10K is one of the most popular summertime races in New England, held in late June. From Boston Common and back again, the looped course lets you check out the city’s best loved landmarks while getting your cardio on.
- Race to Wrigley 5k puts the Windy City on the map in April. It only took 108 years for the Chicago Cubs to repeat their World Series victory of 1908, but you and other diehard Cubbie fans can sprint for the #1 spot at this race, which finishes at the iconic Wrigley Field.
Los Angeles, CA
- The Ultimate Wine Run means that whether you prefer a big, bold cabernet or a crisp chardonnay, you’ll enjoy this August race. If sampling the grape is your thing, you’ll receive a five-ounce pour at the finish line—and a chance to try other varietals as well.
New York, NY
- New York Pizza Run wants you to down three slices of New York-style pizza during a 2-mile race through the East Village held every October. Carbs without guilt? Love it.
San Francisco, CA
- Bay to Breakers is your chance to toe the line with 50,000+ runners, many dressed in costume, for a 12K race held every May.
- Resolution Run 5K & Polar Bear Dive kicks off the new year every January 1st. Once you’ve worked up a sweat, the Dive also lets you embrace your inner polar bear with the option of a quick (and bracing!) dip in Lake Washington post-race.
-Kelly K. James