Ah, the holidays. The most wonderful time of the year… and often the most hectic. Luckily, decorating your home doesn’t need to be a big to-do. Read on for 5 simple ways to up your holiday decorating game from Kimpton’s Design Team.
1.) COZY UP YOUR HOME WITH CANDLES
Add a dash of holiday cheer to your fireplace mantle with an array of white candles. Or celebrate the holiday spirit by including a chic menorah paired with seasonal greens. If you’d prefer not to have open flame in your display, candles in brass or black hurricanes make a beautiful alternative.
2.) SHOW OFF YOUR GREEN THUMB
Add a wreath hanging on a door, a string of garlands along the mantle, or a runner of evergreen branches studded with candles atop a dining room table. Popular winter foliage includes eucalyptus, olive branches, pine boughs, bay leaves, rosemary, juniper, and Douglas and Fraser fir. Not only do each of these varieties smell amazing, but they are long-lasting options that can be displayed all winter long.
3.) SPIRITED SMALL SPACES
Creating a tabletop display is an ideal way to decorate a smaller space without overwhelming it. Try filling a hurricane glass, a vase or an oversized bowl with metallic, soft white, leather or wooden ornaments to add a dash of seasonal warmth. Or spruce up an empty corner by hanging 5 or 6 clear bulbs filled with greenery.
Incorporating white and ivory objects, like birch candles or white wooden garlands, is a simple way to evoke feelings of snowy days and frosty nights, while easily working with any home’s color palette. Teeny string lights added to a lantern or hurricane glass can be a wonderful way to illuminate any area.
5.) DECK THE PALMS
For those in warmer climates, holiday decorating rules are a little different. Celebrate the local culture and embrace what’s natural to your landscape. Hang a unique wreath using tropical botanicals such as monstera leaves or succulents, trim a palm (or cactus!) with lights, or incorporate materials like shells, natural woods or burlap in your decorating scheme to create a warm, holiday feel.
HOLIDAY UH-OH’S AND NO-NOS!
When all else fails, refer to this handy list to help keep your simple styling on track.
- “HINT” AT THE HOLIDAYS – Just like eggnog, a little décor goes a long way. Sure, deck the halls… but maybe not decorate every nook and cranny of your home.
- LET SANTA SIT THIS ONE OUT – Keep your simple style on point by avoiding kitschy holiday themes like Santas, reindeer and snowmen.
- SEASON-PROOF YOUR STYLE – Metallic tones and strands of clear lights will keep your décor on trend through New Year’s Eve and beyond.
- KEEP IT REAL – Be sure to use only fresh botanicals and avoid using faux green wreaths or garlands.
- PASS ON POINSETTIAS – This crimson winter plant has become a bit passé. Stick to boughs of greenery to modernize your display.
–Kimpton Design Team