Surrounded by scenic farms and orchards, California’s serene capital is undergoing a renaissance. Whether you’re in town for work, leisure or bleisure, carve out a few hours to soak up Sacramento’s friendly, easy-going vibes.
Wind Down or Wake Up
At the brand-new Golden 1 Center, catch a concert or cheer for the Sacramento Kings basketball team on their home court. After a fun event or a day of meetings, wind down at one of these local neighborhood spots.
- Sink into vintage sofas at modern speakeasy The Shady Lady Saloon, where live blues, jazz and swing bands jam on weekends.
- Bottle and Barlow – part bar, part barbershop – offers proper shaves during the day, then hand-crafted cocktails and DJs at night.
- Block Butcher Bar’s delicious menu is anchored by house-cured charcuterie and an extensive whiskey selection.
- Within walking distance of the Center, head to rooftop pool lounge Revival at the Sawyer for elevated bottle service and thoughtful seasonal cocktails.
Come morning, head out for a local roast and brunch.
- Insight Coffee’s rich brews are consciously sourced – grab one to go and stroll to nearby Fox and Goose Pub for a hearty British-style breakfast.
- Farm-inspired fare tops the menu at Grange, while Tower Café’s eclectic décor and international menu have made it a Land Park neighborhood favorite for over two decades.
- Old Soul Coffee’s light, sunny space has patio seating that’s great for kids and dogs, while Temple Coffee’s artisanal roasts are a hit across the state.
Midtown, All Day
Work and play go hand-in-hand in the walkable, tree-lined Midtown district.
- Trade Coffee & Coworking inspires with a cheeky mural and playful décor. Access is member-only so check the website for deals on day passes.
- Urban Hive also provides day passes, plus a cheerful, community buzz.
- Post-laptop, scoot over to Scout Living to browse a curated selection of mid-century furnishings.
- Indulge your inner gardener at Sacramento Beekeeping Supplies, stocked with honey-infused treats, candles and gifts.
- Grab truffles and macarons at Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates, or stay ahead of warm weather with a cool ice cream sandwich.
Step into a museum gallery or congressional chamber for a quick History 101.
- The popular California State Railroad Museum, on the cobbled 19th-century streets of Old Sacramento, delights train enthusiasts of all ages.
- See the “California’s Remarkable Women” exhibit at the California Museum, a passion project of former First Lady Maria Shriver.
- Housed in a grand Victorian mansion and modern pavilion, The Crocker Art Museum’s exhibits spotlight Californian and contemporary artists.
- The gold-topped California State Capitol offers daily, free tours. Watch the Assembly and Senate in action – their historic chambers are open to the public.
Where to stay: Lay your head at the design-forward Kimpton Sawyer Hotel, just steps away from the Golden 1 Center, where natural materials, California wood and indoor-outdoor spaces bring the region’s beauty inside every day of the year.
— Meredith Black